Thursday, October 30, 2008

Snakes and Leeches and Scorpions, Oh my!

What a day! We spent 12 hours on a jungle trek in Khao Yai national forest. Reading through our guidebooks, they "strongly suggest" taking a guided tour through Khao Yai as tourists guiding themselves have a tendency of getting lost in the 800 square mile forest and needing to be rescued. After our tour, we have to agree that this is sound advice.

The trek itself was amazing though. We saw fields of monkeys by the side of the road, a few hornbill birds (as neat as birds could be, though they were still birds), and barking deer.

The forest had its host of dangers though. During the course of the day, we had to dodge a zillion leeches (really, a zillion, no exaggeration), a white-lipped pit viper, a pissed-off burmese python (our guide ended up picking this guy up by his head and tossing him away from the trail), a giant spider, and the piece-de-resistance, an 8 inch scorpion that somehow (thanks to our clever guide) ended up on Miah's shoulder.

We can't really do the experience justice in any way other than the photos, so we've posted a few here and there are some up on flickr as well. However, if you ever make it to central thailand, we can recommend a tour guide.

Hugs!
TeamWander

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Miah, you're looking pretty calm given the friend you have on your shoulder! You guys look like you're having a blast!! It's fun to read about your adventures!

Unknown said...

Yes! Two turkeys! Picture a tired Michelle, waking up at the crack of dawn (10AM) to start the turkeys on the morning of Thanksgiving in October. Because this was completely new to me, it took me an entire hour to clean out those birds all by my lonesome, mostly because they were still frozen and because I had no idea what it meant to "clean out" a turkey. To me... the entire inside looks disgusting and I was so worried that I was going to leave something nasty behind! About 5 hours later, we had two awesome turkeys and a TON of food to go around. You were definitely missed!!!!

Leslie, I love your hair! You are always cute though!

I'm so excited to get to Thailand after hearing about your adventures so far! We should come up with some sort of game plan for meeting up! When is your mom coming again? Maybe we can have a challenge... let's see how long it takes Jaime and I to get as far as the two of you did without any signs or people to help us. Deal? Lol. That ought to be interesting!

Love you guys so much! See you in two weeks!

Liza said...

Yay for double updates! The picture of your meal makes my mouth water! It all looks so fresh and yummy!

Not much else to report here. Halloween was fun although not the same without you. Mike dressed as the badger from the car commercials and was a big hit. It's a gorgeous day today, so we took a picnic bike ride in the park.

Miss you!

Jessica said...

I have a new challenge for you guys! I just read an article entitled "4 Fruits We’re Dying to Try" (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/10277?cnn=yes) and I think you should make it your goal to give them a shot:

* Black Sapote (tastes like chocolate pudding) - Mexico and Central America

* Mangosteen (tastes like starburst) - Malaysia. Side note: people pair this with durian, the fruit I was tell you about earlier, that you must not have had because you'd know it if you did - it's spiny (like a jackfruit) and stinks to high heaven.

* Monstera Deliciosa (tastes like pineapple custard) - Mexico

* Rambutan (tastes like lychee to me) - Southeast Asia

I haven't had the Mexican ones, but I thought I'd give you the list so that you can accept the greater challenge ;)

Happy travels,
Jessimac

Unknown said...

Yay! Those pictures are awesome... looks like buddha has a knack for inspiring interesting architecture. we're already saving up for our costa rica tickets next year. more pictures!

Unknown said...

Thanks to this article I have decided to add another place on my list of places in the world never to visit. Thanks a lot guys. I've already scratched Australia and now I might as well add Asia too... I'll just eat my Thai food here in the good ol' US of A! Miss you guys tons!

Susan said...

Obama just won the election!! Yaaaaay!!!!! Just thought you two should know!! Love and hugs!