Saturday, August 1, 2009

Middle School Fun

Last night turned out to be too amusing not to share with everyone. It
began quite ordinarily when we were invited to dinner with our Costa
Rican family (Quick side note, dinner was a cross between lasagna
and chicken pot pie, which, as fate would have it, is an amazing combination).
After dinner, our sister suggested that we go to the town center because
there was a roller skating rink in town for the month. What?!? Not
wanting to pass up a trip down memory lane (think prime middle school
story material) we quickly agreed.

Turns out we were exactly right; the two of us were older than
everyone there by at least five years and the only two non-Ticos.
Apparently roller skating is not like riding a bike, you cannot just
pick it back up a decade later. Well, at least I couldn't, Miah still
had a few tricks up his sleeve from his rollerblading days. One lap
around and he was convinced that I was capable of skating on my own.
Clearly not the case and one of Stephanie's friends quickly came to my
rescue to keep me on my feet and not cause a disastrous pile-up
on the floor (quite a few of which we saw). Slowly it all started
coming back to me though, and all of us had a blast.

We came home and went to bed and about 2 hours later I was awakened by
a huge crashing noise. I wasn't sure if it was just part of a dream or
something outside, but a few minutes later I heard another smaller crash followed by metal scraping metal. I attempted to rouse Miah but he wasn't waking up for anything, so I bravely peeked out the window to see who was trying to break into our house. Turns out, it was a bull on our back patio who had pushed over the grill and was ramming it with his horns. I ran into the
living room and turned on the patio light, trying to scare him away, and he just stared at me, not a foot away. Then, he just went back to eating the charcoal (don't ask me why). Finally, after banging on the door for awhile, he sauntered away. Needless to say, our grill has a few dents in it this morning and is missing one of the legs...

5 comments:

Nick said...

Maybe those cowboys shepherding cows and bulls around the hacienda stopped paying attention and lost one.

The bull was probably just looking at his reflection in the glass and thinking, "man, I look good."

Jane Cheek said...

We took the jr. EYC roller skating a few months ago. I had a blast...both skating and watching Daniel attempt to skate! I would be super interested to see how this traveling skating rink works!

Liza said...

That's so scary! There's no way I would have handled it as calmly as you did!

Hey, Robbie JUST moved to the Philippines to teach scuba diving. He started a blog like yours to keep us updated. It sounds like he's encountering many of the great ups (and slightly overwhelming downs) of moving to a foreign country. Do you think you could visit his blog every so often and give him some words of encouragement. He could use them!

Liza said...

Oh. Forgot to leave the address.

http://www.robbiescuba.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

The bull had a stomachache, charcoal can help settle indigestion. They eat ashes as well if given the opportunity. I am horrible at roller skating, thanks again for reminding me, Jane. Hope you guys are doing well!